- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, RPI
- Bachelor’s degree in Physics, SUNY Oneonta
Thomas G. Capek is senior vice president and Corning’s chief engineer. Capek is responsible for leading the corporate Manufacturing Technology and Engineering organization and for leading the engineering function globally for the company.
Capek joined the Corporate Engineering function in Corning, New York as a design engineer in 1986 where he worked on numerous glass melting process projects. He relocated to the Harrodsburg, Kentucky plant in 1989 as a member of the first joint development program with Samsung Corning in the position of melting engineer. In 1990, he moved into the plant operations group as melting department head and was appointed production department head in 1994. While at the Harrodsburg plant, Capek entered the division engineering group as melting technology manager where he was responsible for many melting process fundamental improvements. He was appointed to the position of Harrodsburg plant operations manager in 1999, and plant manager in 2000 where he helped transform the plant to be a fully dedicated display flat glass melting and forming facility.
Capek relocated to Corning, New York in 2003 as division engineering manager for Display Technologies and, in 2004, was named director Division Engineering. In 2010, Capek was appointed division vice president and director, Engineering for the glass technology group, and in May 2014, moved into the position of vice president and chief engineer for Corning, Manufacturing Technology and Engineering. He was appointed senior vice presented and chief engineer in November 2018 and works closely with many engineering schools to assure a strong pipeline of engineering talent for Corning.
• 1986 Joined Corning as Design Engineer in Melt Technology
• 1989 Moved to Kentucky Melting Process Engineer
• 1990 Melting Department Head, KY
• 1994 Production Department Head, KY
• 1999 Plant Operations Manager, KY
• 2000 Plant Manager, KY
• 2003 Relocate to CNY/Division Engineering Mgr. Display Glass
• 2004 Director, Division Engineering Display Glass
• 2010 DVP and Director Engineering, Glass Technology
• 2014 Vice President & Chief Engineer for Corning
• 2016 Senior Vice President and Chief Engineer for Corning