John (Ting-Yung) Wen
Head, Industrial & Systems Engineering
Robotics, Control systems, Thermal management, Mechatronics
John Ting-Yung Wen received his B.Eng. from McGill University in 1979, M.S. from University of Illinois in 1981, and Ph.D. from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1985, all in Electrical Engineering. From 1981-1982, he was a system engineer at Fisher Controls where he developed a plant-wide coordination control system for pulp and paper plants. From 1985-1988, he was a member of technical staff at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory where he developed new modeling and control algorithms for large space structures and space robots. Since 1988, he has been with Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute where he is currently a professor in the Department of Electrical, Computer, and Systems Engineering with a joint appointment in the Department of Mechanical, Aerospace, and Nuclear Engineering. Since July 2005, he has been the Director of a New York State sponsored interdisciplinary center, Center for Automation Technologies and Systems (CATS). He was the Interim Director of the Smart Lighting Center, an NSF Engineering Research Center involving six partner universities, from June 2009 to December 2009. He is the General Chair of the 2010 IEEE Conference on Automation Science & Engineering (CASE) to be held in Toronto, Canada, 8/21-8/24/2010. Dr. Wen was an ASEE/NASA Summer Faculty Fellow in 1993, a Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Senior Visiting Scientist in 1997, and an Oversea Assessor of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2004-2009. Dr. Wen has over 200 technical publications in leading journals and conferences. His research interest lies in the general area of dynamical systems modeling, control, and planning with applications to high performance motion systems, robot manipulation, opto-mechatronics systems, thermal management, and aerodynamic flow control. Dr. Wen is a Fellow of IEEE and member of INFORMS, ASME and SPIE.
Ph.D. Computer and Systems Engineering (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1985), M.S. Electrical Engineering (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1981), B.S. Electrical Engineering (McGill University, 1979)
- T.Zhang, J.T.Wen, Y.Peles, J.E.Catano, R.Zhou, M.K.Jensen,"Two-Phase Refrigerant Flow Instability Analysis and Active Control in Transient Electronics Cooling Systems," International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 37(1), Jan, 2011, pp.84-89.
- C.Scott, B.Potsaid, John T.Wen, "Wide Field Scanning Telescope using MEMS Deformable Mirrors," International Journal on Optomechatronics, 4(3), Sep, 2010, pp.285-305.
- H.Bai, M.Arcak and J.T.Wen, "Adaptive motion coordination: using relative velocity information to track a reference velocity," Automatica, 45, 2009, pp.1020-1025.
- H.Bai, M.Arcak, J.T.Wen, "An Adaptive Design for Reference Velocity Recovery in Motion Coordination," Systems & Control Letters, 57(8), August, 2008, pp.602-610.
- B.Potsaid, J.T.Wen, M. Unrath, D. Watt, M. Alpay, "High Performance Motion Tracking Control for Electronic Manufacturing," ASME Journal on Dynamics, Measurement, & Control, 129(6), November,2007, pp.767--776.
- B.Potsaid, Y.Bellouard, J.T.Wen, "Adaptive Scanning Optical Microscope (ASOM): a multidisciplinary optical microscope design for large field and high resolution imaging," Optical Express, 13(17), Aug., 2005, pp.6504-6518.
- W.Gressick, J.T.Wen, J.Fish, "Order Reduction for Large-Scale Finite Element Models: A Systems Perspective," International Journal for Multiscale Computational Engineering, 3(3), 2005, pp.337-362.
- B.-H. Kang, J.T. Wen, N.G. Dagalakis, J.J. Gorman, "Analysis and Design of Parallel Mechanisms with Flexure Joints," IEEE Transaction on Robotics, 21(6), Dec. 2005, pp.1179-1185.
- H.Kang and J.T.Wen, "Design and Implementation of a Robotic Assistant in Minimally Invasive Surgeries," IEEE Magazine Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, 20(1), Jan/Feb, 2000. pp.94--104.
- J.T.Wen, L.S.Wilfinger, "Kinematic Manipulability of General Constrained Rigid Multibody Systems," IEEE Transaction on Robotics and Automation, 15(3), June, 1999. pp.558-567.
- C.Dickinson, J.T.Wen, "Feedback Control Strategies for Shape Memory Alloy Actuators," Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 9(4), April, 1998, pp.242-250.
- R.Beard, G.N.Saridis, J.T.Wen, "Approximate Solutions to the Time-Invariant Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman Equation," Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, 96(3), March 1998, pp.589-626.